Over the past few decades, Smartphones are considered ideal for accessing the internet. Besides, mobile application industries are growing faster due to the increase in technological advancements in this domain.
Nowadays, businesses have adopted the trend of mobile application development to uplift their brand value and overall profitability. From social media sites to business services, several mobile apps have been introduced to allure the targeted audience using smartphones.
As the mobile app industry was on peak, the only focus was on meeting the end-users demand and creating a branding benchmark. This overlapped some major factors that were also crucial in the long term run of the mobile app. Some of the factors were the cost of app development, safety & security, code quality, long term maintainability, etc. To lower the cost and increase the app quality at the same time, a fresh and solitary approach is introduced called DevOps.
What is DevOps?
DevOps is a collaboration of “Development” and “Operations” teams that can evolve and improve the products faster and secured. This approach facilitates industries to better assist their customers and compete more productively in the market.
Lifecycle of DevOps
DevOps is integration between development and operations. It comprises of a continuous lifecycle which includes:
- Development: At this Stage, software development takes place persistently. As the subdivision of the software development process into several compact development cycles takes place. The delivery process gets improvised along with increased software development process.
- Testing: Quality Assurance team detects and corrects a number of bugs in the new piece of code using a tool like Selenium.
- Integration: Some additional functions are integrated with the prevailing code and then testing takes place.
- Deployment: Even after the continuous application of the deployment process done at this stage. The performance of the high traffic website remains unaffected.
- Monitoring: The operations team looks after the improper system behavior/defects/bugs that are found in the production.
Significance of DevOps in Mobile App Development
- Rapid Releases, Satisfied Customers: DevOps elevates the frequency of releases by providing the continuous integration phase integrated with proper test setup. It offers a faster resolution to problems that result in quick improved and innovative products.With processes like integration testing, regression testing and acceptance testing the time to release an update/application decreases. This builds a healthy relationship with consumers as they are getting their requirements fulfilled more efficiently and in less time.
- Reliability: DevOps promotes frequent code releases due to shorter development cycles as the teams work together exchanging ideas. This makes it easier to spot the bugs/defects in codes and recovery is also possible in no timeSince the end product comes out to be bug-free, the quality of an application gets increased. Practices like monitoring and logging help maintaining the performance in real-time.
- Productive and Happier DevOps teams: DevOps improves software development culture. The culture becomes more focused on performances, ownerships, accountability and on getting the product to market. This reduces inefficiencies and results in saving time and seamless process.
- Time-Saving and Ease of work: The DevOps model allows the developers and operations teams to achieve quick delivery of features, updates, and new applications in a time-saving manner. This helps the entire mobile app development process to be more productive and also maximizes the business advantages.Automation, the basic enabler in mobile DevOps is available from source code management (including the development of the tools and their testing) to the monitoring of mobile apps in production. Automation helps in enabling constant and instant releases that can be quickly integrated, deployed and tested in automated context.
- Security: DevOps approach offers security as well. It can be initiated by using automated compliance policies, compressed controls, and configuration management techniques. Even by using infrastructures & policies of mobile applications as Codes, tracking compliance at scale becomes easy.
DevOps not only accomplishes one aspect of software development, but it also works on the whole structure. It is an innovative approach that works for all components as well as different kinds of application development. The implementation of DevOps results in improved quality, better process, productive collaboration, valuable monitoring, and reliability of applications in mobile app development.